Re: 3 ways to do one thing, slightly different

Subject: Re: 3 ways to do one thing, slightly different
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 08:21:50 -0400

Hallo:

Are the three ways of doing things regularly irregular or irregularly
irregular ;?).

By that, I mean when you state each way differs slightly from the other, for
all options throughout the software are those differences the same
differences or are the differences different each time (what a way to
explain myself . . . I obviously need more coffee).

If the differences are consistent and predictable why not have a chapter on
using the interface that explains how, in the book, only one way of
accomplishing tasks is discussed but that there are actually three ways and
here are the differences and benefits of each.

Otherwise, I fear your Heading 5s will always be the same: there will be
three, one will be Button, one will be Pop-up Menu, and the third will be
Menu Command. Each section under that Heading 5 will be a similar procedure
and explanation except that a different way of doing things for different
results will be discussed.

I suppose my bleary-eyed thoughts are not to repeat yourself twice unless
the differences between the three methods are significant and the different
results are meaningfully different. You must decide what is significant and
meaningful ;?).

(I must admit, I am having trouble understanding how the three methods are
considered three ways of doing the same thing if the results are different
in each case.)

Hope this helps. If not, let me know and I'll re-think my drivel after
coffee #2.

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=