Re: Fields vs. Boxes, Options, etc.

Subject: Re: Fields vs. Boxes, Options, etc.
From: Chuck <writer -at- BEST -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 13:39:25 -0700

Why the debate? You need to have a doggone good reason to violate the
established guidelines. Not only does the Microsoft Manual of Style
define how things should be referred to, it also points out what terms
are considered jargon that should not be used for certain audiences. By
adhering to the style guide, you will present users of your Windows
applications with terms that they will likely be familiar with if they
are familiar with other Windows applcications.

Some people and some companies are so virulently anti-Microsoft that
they design and describe their interface with the explicit goal of doing
everything *not* as Microsoft does. That attitude generally hurts the
user community.

There can be good reasons for violating the guidelines. But those
reasons are rare, and generally serve specific purposes for specific
audiences.

From a more technical standpoint, "fields" is a jargon carryover
primarily from text-based interfaces, such as with mainframe or DOS
systems. The terminology delineated in the Microsoft Manual of Style
differentiates in a consistent manner the different types of UI gizmos,
and those distinctions, used consistently both within an application and
between applications, are important to keep software easy to use and
understand.

--
"[Programmers] cannot successfully be asked to design for users
because...inevitably, they will make judgments based on the

Chuck Martin
writer"at"best.com www.writeforyou.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=