Re: Dropdown menu on a button

Subject: Re: Dropdown menu on a button
From: Tom Johnson <johnsont -at- STARCUTTER -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 16:24:24 -0400

John described an interface where users can access identical sets of "menu"
items from the menu or a tool bar.

Some people are mousers and some people like hot keys. I think the logic
behind this duplication is to let people use the method they like best.
AutoCad lets you work by using command lines, or you can "mouse" the menu,
or you can "mouse" the tool bars, or you can use (alt) hot keys to use the
menu. If that ain't enough, you can customize your tool bars and put
redundant icons all over the screen and customize the menus as well.

So, I guess John, your developers are just keeping up with the Joneses and
making the application flexible for different kinds of users.

My question is, do we have to be so careful to explain the intricacies of
the interface these days? There are fewer and fewer novices these days. I
don't think there is anyone who doesn't know somebody who could teach them
the basics. Although, there was an ad in our local classifieds where
someone was looking for some help to use an Apple II. :) It must have been
a garage sale special. Can you still buy software for those?

Back to my question. Can we get away with not covering some of the basics
in our documentation now that computers are in almost every home? Just a
few years ago, I would have said no, but now it seems like everyone knows
something about them.

Tom Johnson
Elk Rapids, Michigan - On the freshwater coast

johnsont -at- starcutter -dot- com work
thomasj -at- freeway -dot- net personal

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=