Re: Response of compensation question

Subject: Re: Response of compensation question
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 13:31:21 -0700

Carla...I'm probably one of the more outspoken people
on this list when it comes to discussing money. I
don't think that there is anything wrong with
discussing $$, income, and rates in this forum.

I gotta tell ya...at least based on the ones that went
public to the list, they were alot more restrained
than I would have expected. Your friend, based on
your post, seems to be thinking that making $65+ is
her birthright, or she doesn't understand the depth of
the experience and knowledge that some of us have
worked hard for to earn $70+

I'll give you an example. This goes toward her wish
to not have to deal with anything too technical.

I'm a contractor and I do earn well in excess of $100k
per year. However, to justify that, the following will
happen, and it did happen about an hour ago:

My boss walks to my office and says "John, follow me."
I go into his office and there's someone in it. "John,
this is Mr. "Big" and he's VP of telecom for Western
Union International. With Y2K coming, he needs to
submit a response plan and contingency plan to the FCC
by 3rd quarter. Can you help him out?"

Understand that I've never met him, I know nothing
about the situation, I've never done a response plan,
I've been here for less than 90 days, know almost
nothing about telecom-Y2k issues, and I have a 500+
page manual going out with a version 1.0 software
release by August. My response? "Sure, no problem."

My point? You don't earn your high rate on what you
may do on a daily basis under normal, average
conditions. You earn a high rate because you are
willing and able to jump into an emergency or
situation that you know nothing about and encourage
trust and assurance that you can get the job done.
Period. No ifs, ands, or buts.

I think what rubbed some poeple wrong was the part of
the message about her not wanting to do anything too
technical. You want the big rates, you EARN the big
rates by sticking your neck out and bringing your neck
back in with your head still attached to it.

--- Carla McKenzie <cmckenzie -at- PCIT -dot- COM> wrote:
> Wow, look at the response the compensation question
> is getting. I'm sure
> "my friend" is in tears about now. This was an
> innocently solicited
> message. I wish my "Marching Ants" question had
> gotten this much response.

===
John Posada
Western Union International