Re: tech. brief, app. note, and monograph

Subject: Re: tech. brief, app. note, and monograph
From: Dick Margulis <ampersandvirgule -at- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 18:20:54 -0400

Melissa,

A monograph is basically a long journal article bound separately. So you
can use academic journals as a model.

Certainly you can find examples of engineering journals or scholarly
technical journals in a university library, possibly in a local public
library, and more than likely on the office bookshelf of the engineer in
question. Or perhaps he gets his subscription at home and can bring in
an example for you.

Chicago Manual of Style is the gold standard for academic journals
(University of Chicago Press publishes _lots_ of journals), and if you
refer to that while you have published examples in front of you, you
should do fine.

A particularly fine example of a well edited highly technical journal is
the American Journal of Human Genetics. [Of course I haven't seen it
since the last time I worked on it in 1984, so it may have gone through
less-than-sanguine design changes since then ;-) ] Even though it is not
an engineering journal, you should be able to use it as a model.

One warning: If the monograph has lots of difficult matter (typesetting
jargon for equations, formulae, tables, etc.) you may not want to tackle
it without a high-powered equation editor. Word is not the answer.

HTH,

Dick

Melissa Clark wrote:

> The document this engineer has is what he would consider a monograph: =
> about 75 pages long, contains figures, and is highly technical. For =
> those reasons, it needs to be formatted in some way for it to be easy to =
> read. =20
>
> I am having troubles finding any examples of such long pieces of =
> documents that would provide me with some sort of example or way to =
> format the document. Are there any standards, does anyone know of any =
> examples (in hard copy or on the Internet), or are there any references =
> in books/style guides that would help me out? I have checked the =
> Internet and books, but so far I haven't found an application note this =
> lengthy. Any ideas?

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=