tech. brief, app. note, and monograph

Subject: tech. brief, app. note, and monograph
From: Melissa Clark <clark -at- DATAPHYSICS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 14:14:02 -0700

I am currently working on editing, revising, and reformatting what I would call a application note. However, recently, one of our engineers informed me that there are three different types of "application notes" (or "white papers") that he defines in this way:
(1) tech. brief - single sheet
(2) app. note - about 6-10 pages in length
(3) monograph - heavy content, more comprehensive

The document this engineer has is what he would consider a monograph: about 75 pages long, contains figures, and is highly technical. For those reasons, it needs to be formatted in some way for it to be easy to read.

I am having troubles finding any examples of such long pieces of documents that would provide me with some sort of example or way to format the document. Are there any standards, does anyone know of any examples (in hard copy or on the Internet), or are there any references in books/style guides that would help me out? I have checked the Internet and books, but so far I haven't found an application note this lengthy. Any ideas?

(Btw, I already checked the archives and there was not much to go on there.)

Thanks,
Melissa Clark

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000