Re: Telecomm writing vs. Software writing

Subject: Re: Telecomm writing vs. Software writing
From: Melissa Morgan <mmorgan -at- INTREPID -dot- CDG-HARGRAY -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 08:18:04 -0500

I am actually in the position of writing documentation
for a software company that creates applications for
the telecomm industry. From my experience, the first
hoop I had to jump through was to learn the language.
Telephony has a language of its own, and perhaps
more acronyms than the military. The second hoop I
had to jump through was to learn the different facets
of the telephone companies (plant operations, billing,
subscriber management, message processing).

It has taken quite a bit of self-study to reach the
understanding that I have now (which by no means
encompases everything, but it's a good start). As far
as whether or not you will have to obtain a keen
understanding of the engineering concepts in the
telecomm industry, that will depend on what exactly
you are writing about. Perhaps you could ask the
company for more information regarding this aspect.

Some resources you might want to explore are telephony
dictionaries, seminars, the NTCA, and (I know this sounds
goofy) the front of your phone book usually contains basic
information concerning how you are billed, what part of
the circuit you are responsible for, etc. Hope this helps!
If you have any other questions, feel free to send them
to me off-list.

Melissa Morgan
mmorgan -at- intrepid -dot- cdg-hargray -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=