Re: What kind of names do you make up?

Subject: Re: What kind of names do you make up?
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 13:57:28 -0400

Hallo:

I would insert your own full name, dob, ssn, address, phone, cell phone,
pager number and email. Copy me on it and I'll let you know how it works out
<g>.

Actually, one of the bigger problems I encounter is fictitious database
information. This really plays havoc with screen captures and sample screen
information. You can imagine the names and information bored programmers can
put into test databases. This leads to a lot of rework, either re-creating
whole information sets or bitmap editing.

I use a mild variation of my own name and address information that is
similar to real addresses I have known. Phone numbers and SSNs, etc., are
all 5s ((555) 555-5555 and 555-55-5555). If I base database info on someone
I know, I modify names just a little and addresses such that they sound real
but aren't really . . .. For example, I'll misspell or substitute a
(suitable) nickname for a real last name.

Now, for photographs of people in a database, I'd ask and get permission in
writing.

Good luck.

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com

<snip>

>>>I've been told not to use "real" information, so for
>>>the purposes of this manual, we've made up a fictitous
>>>country, address, etc. Well, we want to include a
>>>fictitous set of contacts. (name, title, phone#, fax#,
>>>email address, etc.)
>>>
>>>Now...I could use the universally-know "John Smith at
>>>123 Main St.", or I could use...something else. ;-)
>>>
>>>The question: have you, as the writer, ever used your
>>>own name as the contact? It sure would eliminate the
>>>problem we all have when showing our portfolios in
>>>interviews.
>>>
>>>"Mr. Posada...how do we know that it was you that
>>>wrote the content and that you aren't showing someone
>>>elses work?"

I have never been challenged on this. Passing along references and previous
employment history provides an opportunity for a potential employer to check
that the material might possibly be unoriginal. ("A reference for Mr. Posada
. . . of course . . . never wrote a thing here, he was the secretary . . .
maybe he did an org chart once, and I think he spell-checked a memo I wrote,
but, mostly, just answered phones and set up the annual picnic.")

>>>===
>>>John Posada

Stay safe

Sean