Re: Division of responsibility for creating online help

Subject: Re: Division of responsibility for creating online help
From: Lydia Wong <lydiaw -at- FPOINT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 12:06:46 -0400

Hi Imogen,

developers review it, you asked:
> But how does your review process work? Does someone go through and test
> that all the context sensitive help IDs are OK? Do you create test
> plans for this?

Our review process (usually) is to give the developers hard copy of the
online help (or the book version, if we have both print and online). They
read it and provide technical comments on it.

As for the context-sensitivity, we writers usually test that, as well as our
QA department. It is part of their test plan to review the context-sensitive
links, but we do not have automated test scripts to do it (though we've
talked a little about implementing that).

Because our products have a predefined interface (they are controls that
developers use in development environments such as VB), we have only a
limited amount of context-sensitivity. Therefore, this testing, though it
can be time-consuming, is not the huge task that it would be for a large
application.

Hope this answers your questions,

Lydia
Lydia Wong