Re: Performant - is it a word

Subject: Re: Performant - is it a word
From: Joe Schrengohst <jschreng -at- CISCO -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 10:48:28 -0700

My position has always been that if you can write it and attach
a definition to it, then it's a word. This activity is a freedom that
is guaranteed by the First Ammendment to the Constitution of
the United States of America.

Software developers often "invent" new words. This might seem to
cross the line until you realize that someone, somewhere, at some
time "invented" every single word that you find in your dictionary.

Further investigation often reveals that different languages have yet
to "invent" a word for an item or concept that's well accepted in
your own native language, be it English, American, or whatever.

The beauty and the mystery of language is that it is dynamic, not
static as most anal-retentive types would have it be. Look up the
dictionary meaning of the word "style" (as in "Chicago Manual of").

At 11:17 AM 6/8/1999 +0100, you wrote:
>I haven't been able to find "performant" in any dictionary but I just
>thought I'd see if anyone else is familiar with this word. Our development
>team uses the term frequently and I guess I've heard it so often I find it
>hard to believe its not a word.
>
>anyone else use it?
>Deborah Garcia
>Technical Author