Re: Interview from Hell

Subject: Re: Interview from Hell
From: Jim Shaeffer <jims -at- SPSI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 08:40:05 -0400

Lessons from Sales
An earlier poster speculated about lessons from salespeople. I am not a
salesperson, but I spent some time trying to become one. Some points that
"authorities" in sales make repeatedly are:

1. ALL decisions to buy are emotional decisions. Logic and cost-benefit
analyses are used after the fact to justify and reinforce the emotional
decision.
2. When a salesperson meets a prospect, the salesperson has four minutes. In
the first four minutes of a sales call, the prospect decides if it is
worthwhile to talk to the salesperson.

Salespeople who base their actions on these principles seem to be
successful. (Of course, unsuccessful salespeople don't write the books on
how to sell.)
Since a job interview is, in a sense, a sales call, these same principles
may apply.

Jim Shaeffer