Re: Interview from Hell

Subject: Re: Interview from Hell
From: Beth Agnew <BAgnew -at- INSYSTEMS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 08:20:06 -0400

Rowena Hart made some great points about emotions interfering with
interviews on both the employer's and candidate's sides. She noted that
pride and an arrogant attitude, "trying too hard" and having all the answers
can sometimes be detrimental to an applicant, while an attitude of
superiority on the part of the interviewer translates into asking insulting
questions and being disinterested and unresponsive.

One of the key things I look for in a candidate is best described as
humilty. I want someone who is confident and skilled, but who shows me that
they are still willing to learn and that they can accept feedback to improve
their performance. In my opinion, there are too many arrogant technical
writers out there who believe they know it all. I've been a technical writer
since 1971 and I'm still learning! What's more, when hiring I'm looking for
people who will bring areas of strength to my team, and if they can do
things I can't, that's even better.

I see the interview as an opportunity to try to get to know the candidate.
If you didn't have the basic skills I needed (as demonstrated on your
resume), you wouldn't get the interview. So when we meet, it's a chance to
find out if you're right for us, and if we're right for you.

--Beth
Beth Agnew
Manager, Information Development

InSystems Technologies Inc. Phone: (905) 513-1400 x 280
65 Allstate Parkway, Suite 100 Fax: (905) 513-1419
Markham, Ontario, Canada E-mail: bagnew -at- insystems -dot- com
L3R 9X1
http://www.insystems.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=