Re: The Interview from Hell!

Subject: Re: The Interview from Hell!
From: Sabahat Ashraf <sabahat_ashraf -at- MENTORG -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 11:11:36 -0400

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 10:58:40 -0400
From: Beth Agnew <BAgnew -at- INSYSTEMS -dot- COM>

I know that getting a TnT letter from an employer is frustrating, especially
when one meets all of the requirements for the job, but hiring isn't just a
matter of finding a candidate who can "check off all the boxes".
Increasingly, finding the best candidate is a matter of corporate fit. Will
that person be a corporate asset and fit into the corporate culture?

---end snippet from Beth Agnew. Rest of mail truncated; it made too much sense

Okay. Point taken, Beth. So *that*'s what the two companies that turned me down
in the second half of last year and said, respectively, "We want someone
older." and "We want someone with more experience.", were trying to do:
maintain a corporate fit. Never mind that they were pre-IPO and thus by
definition needed someone that could grow with
the-job-that-needed-further-definition and someone that had <fit tool of
choice> experience and who had experience "porting" stuff from MS<fit Microsoft
tool you would not choose> to <aforesaid tool of choice> and this would be
there second full-time writer in a pretty big company ... I guess they did me a
favour by not hiring me; I wouldn't have fit in and felt really bad about
working with people so much older'n me ...

SIA

--
[Sabahat Iqbal Ashraf]
Technical Writer / Course Developer