Re: Problem with ...

Subject: Re: Problem with ...
From: "Ridder, Fred" <Fred -dot- Ridder -at- DIALOGIC -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 11:45:16 -0400

On Sun, 30 May 1999, Michael Andrew Uhl wrote:

>For those of you who are now just discovering the missing graphics bug
>in Word, this should be a lesson to you that it pays to subscribe to a
>Word for Windows list or monitor a Word for Windows newsgroup.
>
>Also, it's a good idea to monitor vendor Web sites for announcements
>about bugs and patches.

Another extremely useful source of information for Word users is Woody's
Office Watch (aka WOW), which is generally much more definitive than
newsgroups and much more trustworthy than the vendor websites. In my
experience, the percentage of self-proclaimed experts on Word who really
don't know what they are talking about is quite high, and most newsgroups
and listserves (including Techwr-l) contain a lot of inaccurate information
and superstitious advice related to Word ("the red x problem stopped
when I moved my paper clip holder from the right side of my monitor to
the left side, so the problem is clearly caused by stray magnetic fields").
And the problem with vendor websites is that they naturally present
the "company line" about problems, which in the case of Microsoft
generally means that the focus is on denial rather than helpfulness.

The driving force behind WOW is Woody Leonhard, who has written
something like a dozen books on various versions of MS Word and the
MS Office suite, including the excellent "Word 9x Annoyances" books
from Reilly. WOW is a free, weekly, e-mail newsletter that is also
available from an archive at the Woody's Office Power Pack (WOPR)
website. Subscribing to the newsletter can be accomplished by a
sending a simple e-mail to wow -at- wopr -dot- com, or via the Web
at http://www.woodyswatch.com/wow/ . The back issues of the
newsletter are available at http://www.wopr.com/wow/wowarch.shtml

Fred Ridder
Dialogic Corp.