Re: New Chapter On Right/Leave Left Page Blank -Reply

Subject: Re: New Chapter On Right/Leave Left Page Blank -Reply
From: Scott McClare <smcclare -at- DY4 -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 15:04:08 -0400

Look a little more closely; you might be surprised. A clear majority of
the books on my work bookshelf - comprising dictionaries, style guides,
grammars, computer books, novels, and a Bible - don't prefer one page over
the other for new chapters. Two out of ten do, and one of those has been
designed so that there's an epigram on the page facing the first page of
each chapter.

It ain't "standard," and it ain't difficult to find the start of new
chapters by looking on the left *and* the right.

The manuals I write, OTOH, do start with the new-chapter-on-right
convention, because each chapter is individually numbered. Generally
(though not here) this is to allow changed pages to be swapped out, and it
would be difficult for the end user to have to make the changes with a razor
blade and a tube of glue. (And what would you number the first page - 2 or
0?)

Take care,

Scott

--
Scott McClare - Technical Writer
DY 4 Systems Inc., Kanata, Ontario, Canada

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=