Re: Environment statement after copyright

Subject: Re: Environment statement after copyright
From: Lydia Wong <lydiaw -at- FPOINT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 16:43:37 -0400

Martha asked about including a statement in her book about using recycled
paper. I agree with everyone's comments so far. We use recycled paper in our
books, and put the statement "Text printed on recycled paper." in the same
place you're considering putting it, Martha. (We should check with our
printer about post-consumer content, too; that's a great suggestion from
people.) We do have to make a distinction, because our covers are not
printed on recycled stock.

We also put the recycled symbol on the back cover of the book (you can
probably get that little green icon/graphic from your printer), with the
same statement again. If you're going to the trouble and expense of using
recycled, why not tell people?

Also, we do not use a colophon, but instead include a note in the front
(same place, below the trademark and copyright info.) telling people what
tools we used to produce our documentation. For example:

This guide was produced using Adobe FrameMaker® 5.5. The online help file
was produced using WebWorks Publisher® 4.0. The PDF version of this guide
was produced using Adobe® Acrobat® 3.0.

I forget why we started this. I guess I know I like to know about how other
books are produced, and so that's part of the background on this tradition.
We don't provide the font or exact paper weight/stock information, though.
I'd hesitate to provide the paper information, since that might change
without warning.

Lydia
Lydia Wong
Technical Writer