Re: "Navigate" or "explore"?

Subject: Re: "Navigate" or "explore"?
From: Paul Strasser <paul -dot- strasser -at- WINDSOR-TECH -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 13:29:00 -0500

Of course, the term "explore" is not a similarly neutral term to 'move
through' - in fact, neither term has the same meaning as "navigate." At
least to me....

When you are "exploring" you are doing something akin to surfing the web.
"Navigate" suggests a more deliberate movement to a desired location. In
the examples cited by the Microsoft Manual of Style, the concept of
Navigation is more applicable.

...Which probably fries the Microsoft folks.

Do they sell Apples in the Msft cafeteria, or do they call them fruitlike
objects?

Paul S.
Westminster, CO

we turn to Microsoft's "Manual of Style for
>Technical Publications" (2nd edition, 1998, p. 185) where we find the
>following instruction:
>
>"Avoid the term 'navigate' to refer to moving from site to site, page to
>page within a site, or link to link on the Internet...Instead use 'explore'
>or 'move through' to refer to sequentially moving from one link or site to
>another, or a similar neutral term describing the action."
>
>...(rest of the article snipped)...
>
>Has anyone read this instruction in Microsoft's guide? What do you think of
>it? And what do you think of the word "explore" or the words "move through"
>rather than "navigate"? (I haven't seen this addressed in the archives.)
>
>Cheers,
>Robert

>Robert Heath
>Technical Writer