Re: "Navigate" or "explore"?

Subject: Re: "Navigate" or "explore"?
From: Darren Barefoot <dbarefoot -at- MPS-CANADA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 12:13:29 -0700

Well, Microsoft and Netscape aside, the two terms have differ significantly
in their connotative and denotative meanings. See below:

navigate (nàv´î-gât´) verb
navigated, navigating, navigates verb, transitive
1. To plan, record, and control the course and position of (a ship or
an aircraft).
2. To follow a planned course on, across, or through: navigate a
stream.

explore (îk-splôr´, -splor´) verb
explored, exploring, explores verb, transitive
1. To investigate systematically; examine: explore every possibility.
2. To search into or travel in for the purpose of discovery: exploring
outer space.

Speaking subjectively, the term "navigate" has a greater sense of purpose
and direction than "explore." Navigate also strikes me as more local than
explore, as "tactical" is to "strategic." If one "navigates" the Northwest
Passage, I think one knows full well where one will end up. If you "explore"
it, though, it sounds to me like you're just poking about. For the same
reasons we disdain the term "surf" as being too haphazard. Just my two cents
worth. DB.