Re: Rumors of FrameMaker's Death are Untrue, says Adobe

Subject: Re: Rumors of FrameMaker's Death are Untrue, says Adobe
From: Tom Huffman <tlhuffman -at- EARTHLINK -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 20:22:19 -0500

Darren:

Gee, quite a few people use Publisher. It is in fact the leader in the low-scale
DTP market. However, I was speaking somewhat hyperbolically. Obviously, MS can't
literally release *anything* and have it succeed. Speaking more accurately, MS's
clout, marketing, and overall dominance gives their products a huge advantage in
the marketplace that's wildly disproportionate to their quality.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Linux. It's one product that MS
can't beat. It can't undercut it on price. It can't leverage Windows against it.
Finally, it can't -- or rather I should say *won't* -- release a Linux version
of Office, giving competitors a chance to gain back some market share. The
problem is that Linux is nowhere near ready as a consumer operating system. Even
the latest builds by Caldera and Red Hat are way too geeky for the vast majority
of users.

*******

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=