Re: Rumors of FrameMaker's Death are Untrue, says Adobe

Subject: Re: Rumors of FrameMaker's Death are Untrue, says Adobe
From: Tom Huffman <tlhuffman -at- EARTHLINK -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 16:55:25 -0500

Darren:

Your post begins with a definition of intuition and then your argument proceeds
to ignore it. "Immediate cognition" entails that the object being perceived is
so simple and self-evident that any normal person would immediately understand
it. What you discuss is not this at all. Granted, Word is reasonably well
integrated into and consistent with the rest of MS Office, but to benefit from
this we must have prior acquaintance with MS Office. Because it's, well, made by
Microsoft, most people are. However, this has nothing whatever to do with its
elements being intuitive. It's merely familiar. The English language is familiar
to all of us, but it is in many well known ways very unintuitive.

I didn't intend to comment upon the relative intuitiveness of FM vs. Word. I
wish people would stop using the term entirely as it usually just shorthand for
what they know and like.

******

--
Tom Huffman