Re: QUERY: STC members in Germany

Subject: Re: QUERY: STC members in Germany
From: Andreas Baumert <abaumert -at- TR -dot- FH-HANNOVER -dot- DE>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 12:55:17 +0100

Andreas,

Yes, I am sure that - for some techwriters - it does make sense to join
the stc. I did when working for a U.S. company in Germany. Your questions:

----
I am specially interested in things like:
- do you profit professionally from your membership?
- are STC publications of worth for Germans or do they refer more to
local problems?
- are the publications delivered in time or with a lot of delay?
- who do you handle your payment?

------

Profit: I have had a lot of professional benefits by the STC. I know
about issues to be discussed (in Germany) in the future. Take usability
testing as an example. We still learn from experiences made in the US.

Publications: See above.

Delivery: It's all in time.

Payment: By credit card.

If you're working for a company entering international markets, the STC
provides much more information than the German tekom. Membership in
tekom is important to know about German rules and to meet German
colleagues.

Maybe, we someday create a German chapter. That could make sense, not in
competition to tekom, but as an add-on for international technical
communication.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to mail me directly. Maybe it
is not that interesting to the mailing list.

Andreas Baumert

Andreas Baumert, Prof. Dr.
Fachhochschule Hannover
Studiengang Technische Redaktion
Ricklinger Stadtweg 120
30459 Hannover
Tel.: ++49 511 92 96 758
Fax: ++49 511 92 96 610
E-Mail:andreas -dot- baumert -at- ik -dot- fh-hannover -dot- de
http://www.ik.fh-hannover.de/tr/menschen/baumert/baumert.htm

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=