Re: Advice Requested: "What part of this is yours?"

Subject: Re: Advice Requested: "What part of this is yours?"
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 14:21:33 -0400

Hallo:

Aside from the employee book, do you have any other samples?

As for the question, "what part of it is yours?":

I would answer all of it and none of it. I planned the book, coordinated
with SMEs (legal dept. et al.), authored the text, edited the same, arranged
for review, more edits, and approval. I scheduled the binding and printing
after selecting a vendor, paper stock and bindery. However, the book is not
mine because it belongs to the company for which I created it. The book
reflects their policies, procedures, philosophy, as well as company-required
revisions and content. As a professional, I do not own the book. The book is
simply work.

Perhaps, in the interview, you put too much emphasis on the contribution of
others. Or, perhaps, the interviewer did not like what they saw and were
looking for you to point to a more pleasing section for which you claimed
personal credit. Anyway, if, in applying for a writing position, you
describe a book as being a committee effort, expect any interviewer to ask
"so which part did you write?"

You could always respond by saying "did you understand anything I just
said?"

Good luck.

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com