Re: Windows98 compared to Windows95

Subject: Re: Windows98 compared to Windows95
From: Kris Olberg <kjolberg -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 21:11:47 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Parker, Cassandra M. (EXCH) <CMPARKER -at- INTERMEDIA -dot- COM>

> I have an opportunity to upgrade my home computer from Windows95 to
> Windows98 but I'm a little leery because I've heard there are quite a few
> "bugs" in Windows 98. I would like to hear your opinions about the
upgrade.
> Is it worth it with the new Windows 2000 coming out soon? What type of
bugs
> have you encountered? Many times I take the office work home.

I currently use Win98, was a Win98 beta user and before that a "long-time"
Win95 user at home. At work, I've been running NT 4.0 almost since it was
released.

IMHO, the most stable OS is NT 4.0. I never reboot my machine at work.
Never. I had myriads of problems with Win95. I upgraded to Win98 hoping to
get to a better place. My initial experience with Win98 was very bad, and I
was disappointed I spent the money to upgrade. But I've taken care of a few
major problems--like double entries in the startup. (Do Start, Run, enter
msconfig, go to the Startup tab.) The double entries for LoadPowerProfile
were extremely problematic. Since I eliminated that problem and upgraded to
IE5, my system is working almost as well as my machine at work. I have much
software installed--I telecommute regularly and have Java development tools,
Office 97, IE5, Netscape 4.5 Enterprise edition, Exceed X-windowing
software, PC Telecommute, FrontPage, several photo packages, dozens of
games, and much more. I'm happy now, even with the small deltas from Win95.
I now even have a 31-inch TV monitor hooked up alongside my 17-inch Sony.

Regards...Kris
kolberg -at- healtheon -dot- com
kris -at- olberg -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=