Re: Frame to XML to HTML?

Subject: Re: Frame to XML to HTML?
From: Chris Despopoulos <cud -at- ARRAKIS -dot- ES>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 17:27:50 +0200

I have never actually tried the Save As XML feature in
Maker. But I believe it is based on the Save As HTML
utility. So I'm not sure how much you would gain by this
approach. That is, if you want to use vanilla Maker.

If I wanted to get into XML, I would probably use
Maker+SGML. That can also save as XML, and uses the SGML
utilities (I think... it's been a while. If anybody can
correct me, please do!!!). At any rate, you can then write
your own SGML API plugins to massage the output, whether
you're producing SGML or XML. At this degree of structure,
I tend to think that level of control is good, and probably
required.

I have often thought about using Maker+SGML to produce HTML,
but haven't tried it yet. One day, when I have the spare
time and the need, I just might. The advantages would be:

* More direct control over how the structure translates
into HTML
* No nasty CSS... Or rather, you make the CSS yourself,
irrespective of the formatting in your Maker document.

Before I do that, I need to play more with Maker to HTML.
In an upcoming project, I plan to create templates in Maker
that are designed to produce the HTML I want. That will be
my source. For the printed manuals, I will import formats
and otherwise massage copies of the source to get the print
output I want. I think the Maker to HTML utility only works
if you design the template for the HTML.

I also thought about using Maker+SGML to read HTML... An
obvious thing to do, no? Once upon a time, in about 6 hours
of work, I got it to reproduce the majority of HTML without
any C programming. What I know I lacked were tables (need a
program to tell Maker how many columns are in the table) and
graphics. Graphics would be the hardest... You would need
a program to use the current URL to fetch the graphic and
save it to disk. (For intranet use - what I was interested
in - you could get away with just expanding graphic
pathnames out to the internal HTTP server... Assuming you
are on the same network.) But it seems you could turn Maker
into a browser! Now there's a waste of energy, eh?

If you no have a dream, how you gonna have a dream come
true?

cud

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=