Re: pc-manmonth - I had to say it

Subject: Re: pc-manmonth - I had to say it
From: Toni Williams TPG/SG <towilliams -at- PROCYONGROUP -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 08:33:32 -0700

<snip>

> Ms. Jasper raises a legitimate concern about how persons may perceive a
> word, and in doing so be offend based on that perception. But persons who
> complain or demand retribution based on such a perceived offense (such as
> the African Americans on the city council and elsewhere who complained
> about the aide using "niggardly" and demanded he be fired) make themselves
> liable to be seen as overy sensitive and seeing something that isn't
> there.

What they make themselves liable to is the unadulterated display of
their own ignorance.
Didn't Mark Twain say something about when people think you're,
stupid don't open your
mouth to prove them right.

> It is better that they research the word's etyology as well as what it
> denotes and connotes, not base their perception only on the sound or
> spelling of the word, and pass on to other persons what they have learned.
>
> I suggest that if one uses a word which may be perceived as offensive,

Good grief! Someone somewhere will always find something to be
offended by. If you are using the language
correctly and clearly, their perception is their problem. To
paraphrase a previous post, you cannot
abolish ignorance by catering to it.

> that a definition of the word be provided, say as a footnote or
> parethetical
> comment. Then the reader will be educated as to what the word denotes; the
> connotation--aye, there's the rub....

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=