Re: Systems Analyst Newsgroups???

Subject: Re: Systems Analyst Newsgroups???
From: Ben Kovitz <apteryx -at- CHISP -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 15:22:54 -0600

Anthony Markatos wrote:

>Do you know of any newsgroups or listservs for Systems Analysts?
>
>I am interested in talking with Systems Analysts who are focused on
>technical communications (and not programming). I am most interested
>in communicating with analysts who develop software requirements
>specifications.

Instructions for subscribing to the SRE discussion list ("Software
Requirements Engineering") are at:

http://www-comp.mpce.mq.edu.au/~didar/seweb/groups.html

This list is fairly low-volume, but people talk about all kinds of stuff
related to technical communication as it relates to system analysts (or
"requirements engineers" in more recent terminology). For example, I've
seen some discussion about ambiguity, a really interesting article about
how use cases are not rigorous enough for requirements, and a recent post
about diagrams to show the ordering in time of all possible ways in which a
set of events can unfold. There are also some very high-powered people on
the list, like Ian Sommerville, one of the main thinkers behind the
"viewpoints" concept in requirements.

The above page also lists some newsgroups where they talk about
requirements, to which I would add comp.object and comp.object.moderated.
These two tend toward programming, but there's plenty of discussion of
"upstream" activities, too, including how to put the results down on paper.

--
Ben Kovitz <apteryx -at- chisp -dot- net>
Author, _Practical Software Requirements: A Manual of Content & Style_

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=