Re: Quantity vs. Quality

Subject: Re: Quantity vs. Quality
From: Pierre Roberge <proberge -at- FAMICTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 10:17:07 -0400

Kate replied:

> I shudder to think of a manager who can't assess a writer's
> ability using on-the-spot writing tests for evaluation. If
> the manager can't tell what's good or not anyway, what point
> is there in evaluating a writing sample, even if it's fresh?

Of course, I meant asking a candidate to write something and having his/her
text read by someone who knows about technical writing is a better idea than
having a manager who knows nothing about technical writing count the years
of experience a writer has.

> Evaluating writing samples can be tricky business, no doubt,
> but I notice when someone does it well. I feel that a manager
> can gain one heck of a lot more insight about a candidate in
> most cases by asking the right questions about the sample than
> s/he can by actually reading it. Most writers have a lot to
> say about the projects in which they've been involved, and if
> they don't, I want to know why.

Interesting point.

> Besides, the pressure of interviewing differs significantly
> from the pressure I expect a writer to feel during a normal
> project. Thus, I wouldn't trust an on-the-spot writing test
> to result in a representative sample of the writer's ability.

I think interview tests are good if you compare the results among testees
(?) and not with your writers' best projects. I think technical writing is
a way of thinking and that it can be demonstrated easily even if the person
writes only 15 lines in 15 minutes under pressure.

Pierre Roberge
Technical writer
Famic Technologies 2000

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=