Re: Quantity vs. Quality

Subject: Re: Quantity vs. Quality
From: "O'Neill, Kate" <kateo -at- CINEBASE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 14:43:58 -0800

I shudder to think of a manager who can't assess a writer's
ability using on-the-spot writing tests for evaluation. If
the manager can't tell what's good or not anyway, what point
is there in evaluating a writing sample, even if it's fresh?

Evaluating writing samples can be tricky business, no doubt,
but I notice when someone does it well. I feel that a manager
can gain one heck of a lot more insight about a candidate in
most cases by asking the right questions about the sample than
s/he can by actually reading it. Most writers have a lot to
say about the projects in which they've been involved, and if
they don't, I want to know why.

Besides, the pressure of interviewing differs significantly
from the pressure I expect a writer to feel during a normal
project. Thus, I wouldn't trust an on-the-spot writing test
to result in a representative sample of the writer's ability.

--
Kate O'Neill
Manager of Documentation, Cinebase Software