Re: FWD: Road blocks in negotiating raise

Subject: Re: FWD: Road blocks in negotiating raise
From: jgilger_it -at- NV -dot- DOE -dot- GOV
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 11:23:05 -0700

Just another straight from the shoulder opinion.

Anon asked:

My questions:
Am I so out of line in my salary requirements given my
education and experience?

Unless you are working in an area of high pay and high cost (Silicon
Valley etc.) I think you are being paid quite generously considering
your education and experience if you are receiving $28K.

I seriously doubt that the median salary you mentioned was the median
salary for novice technical writers with minimal experience. As others
have noted, you are worth what your employer is willing to pay. If
another employer is willing to pay more, go for it.

As a manager, my criteria for raises and promotions is based on results.
A degree is of no worth if you can't consistently meet deadlines.
Experience loses its value if the editor has to make major structural
changes to your work.

Just the personal opinion of
John Gilger
Document Production Manager