Re: Who Decides?

Subject: Re: Who Decides?
From: "GALVIN, KATHLEEN" <KATHGA -at- SAFECO -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 09:17:49 -0700

I'm going to do the unforgiveable and quote myself. Following is my off-line
answer to Linda Castellani, who originally posed the question.

The audience decides. Period. The audience analysis and the analysis
of the tasks they need to accomplish are incontravertible evidence of what
the documentation should be. Documentation based on anything else is bumpf,
and until and unless we educate the decision makers in our respective
organizations about this fact we are going to continue to be accused of
turning out documentation that is junk. And the company will continue to pay
the price in unhappy customers and tech support overload.

As you can see, I am passionate about this and it communicates to my
listeners. I am not above giving this little speech to a roomful of
marketing and administrative types and I've seen it have an effect. Go forth
and advocate for decent and useful documentation!

Kathy Galvin