Re: Single Sourcing

Subject: Re: Single Sourcing
From: CASSIN Gilles <GCassin -at- MEGA -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 10:30:31 +0100

Horn, Matthew wrote :Forgive me for being a little naive, but can't you
single-source with
Framemaker and conditional text?

Being no Framemaker expert (I tested it a few years ago, but it was a
nosave version so..., and have currently a test full-version around -
not much time to test it, since I receive too much mail <g>), I wouldn't
gurantee it, but they say this can do the trick.
I used the same sort of technique with word macros (redefining a style
as hidden). Yet, the on-line text is sometimes quite different from the
printed one, so it's rather reusing than single sourcing.
Since the text creation is the heaviest burden, we tend to rewrite it
for on-line use, and update all the stuff at the same time.
The major task being identifying the modifications,updating several
texts, helps, aso, can proove as efficient as the management of a single
source with a complex and flimsy structure.
"Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler."
(Albert Einstein)
Gilles CASSIN
mailto:gcassin -at- mega -dot- com
+33 1 42 75 40 22
My opinions are mine, and neither you nor my company can take credit for
them. YOU can cite them if you think they were of use.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=