Re: Questions for Headhunters/Recruiters

Subject: Re: Questions for Headhunters/Recruiters
From: Melonie Holliman <melonie -dot- holliman -at- TXEXMTA4 -dot- AMD -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 08:06:55 -0500

Howdy,

I have learned to ask "do you already have the contact for the
job (on retainer) and you are just trying to fill it? Or are you trying
to get the contract?" If they are just trying to get the contract,
beware! If they submit you, you cannot be submitted by the
recruiter who may already have the contract.

Many companies only work with one agency (such as the
place I work now). I did find out, however, that the agency
with the contract will subcontract to other agencies. If you
have two agencies taking profit off the top, I bet you are
offered a lower pay (I don't know for sure).

When I was looking for a job last fall, I learned this the
hard way. Remember, the recruiter REPRESENTS you.
Make sure they are someone you want as a representative.
The recruiter can make or break the deal. Also, make sure
they have actually submitted you. I don't know what was
going on, but I had two agencies tell me they had submitted
me and had not. Maybe they were just trying to mess up
the competition; I don't know.

It boils down to, interview the recruiter!

Melonie R. Holliman
Technical Writer
CPD Marketing
Advanced Micro Devices