Re: Finding tech comm books on the shelves (was Final Note: Wiley. ..)

Subject: Re: Finding tech comm books on the shelves (was Final Note: Wiley. ..)
From: Cheryle W <cjwiese -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 10:24:09 PDT

Jill wrote:

It bugs me that I have little opportunity to browse through tech comm
books. Even if I get a list of books I want to compare, local stores
and the library frequently don't stock them. (Only those who know they
exist ask for them.)

>>>I agree - the online bookstores are GREAT, but there's nothing like
picking up a book and thumbing through it to decide if it's really
the "right" book for you.

Has anyone successfully campaigned their local bookstores to devote a
shelf to technical communication? If so, what tactic did you use to
persuade them? I've tried without success.

>>>Hmmm ... have you tried many of the independent bookstores in
your area? I'm guessing they would be more amenable to your
suggestions.

Fortunately, I haven't had to do this - in Portland, we have an
excellent bookstore called Powell's Technical Books
(http://www.powells.com/). The entire store is filled with techie
books of every imaginable flavor, including several well-stocked
shelves full of Technical Communication books.

Cheryle

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=