summary: Movin' on up / changing careers

Subject: summary: Movin' on up / changing careers
From: "Horn, Matthew" <Matthew -dot- Horn -at- TFN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 16:56:06 -0400

Thank you to all the people who responded to me about my goal of moving from
technical writing to application development.

There were several major points made that I would like to summarize:

1. Choice of words. Some people took umbrage at me saying that moving from
Technical Writer to Programmer would be "a step up". Perhaps I should not
have vocalized my feelings, but I, for one, don't see many programmers
running around whining about not getting any respect from the tech writers.
Then again, my remark lacked a proper level of decorum, so, for that, I
apologize.

2. Salary. I should probably keep this issue "on the down-low" for a while,
since most people thought that a junior programmer gets paid less than a
mid-level tech writer (I believe this to be true at my company
specifically). But if I turn out to be a spectacular coder, I should then
quit and rule the world.

3. Spec Writing. Most thought that I would probably be made the default spec
writer in the group. I know I will be the minor bug-fixer, coffee-getter, ax
grinder, and piss-bucket holder for a while. I'm ok with that. If I can't
start at the top, I'll be the best damn holder of piss buckets they've ever
seen.

4. The Customer Wins. Seems like some of you are on the same wavelength as
my boss. Since I know the product better now than the current developers, I
will be able to actually make it usable. <g>

Thanks again.

Cheers,

--Matt

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=