Re: FWD: How Do You NOT Mention Salary First?

Subject: Re: FWD: How Do You NOT Mention Salary First?
From: jarnopol <jarnopol -at- INTERACCESS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 17:02:38 -0500

Yea, you can do that - not say what you're making now. You can also put "that
figure" in the little box. If you get hired, the new employer can check with
your previous employer. In some states, what a previous employer can and
can't say about you is limited by law.

In my experience, and I now work for a consulting firm and am not an
independent contractor, I've found the truth is best. If they asking me what
I'm making at my current place of employment, I tell them. If they ask what
I'm looking for, I either tell them "that figure" or indicate that
compensation is negotiable.

Maybe the "best" solution is to follow your gut?

Chris Hamilton wrote:
>Some people I know have advised that you never tell them how much you're
>making now. If you have the figure in your mind, they say, what you're
>making now isn't relevant.

>> If you are serious about the post you are interviewing for,
>> fill out the application, include your current salary and send it in.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=