Re: The Worst Thing About Contracting

Subject: Re: The Worst Thing About Contracting
From: Kevin McLauchlan <KMcLauchlan -at- CHRYSALIS-ITS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 12:06:52 -0400

Um, fairly obviously, the "fart without toting it up" comment
was a bit of exaggeration for effect. On the other hand,
I've met some lawyers for whom it is not, after all, an
exaggeration (I've also met others who would make even
Sharon look lax and unscrupulous by comparison, but
those highly ethical legal beagles don't serve the illustration
at hand). I believe I put it that way because of what
was suggested by one or two replies I got on the original
topic, suggesting that we "captives" don't get paid for all
our hours.

You, on the other hand, seem to suggest that many (most)
of our hours do not deserve payment.

I suspect there's truth to both views, but that "reality" lies
somewhere in between.

FWIW, I *read* techwr-l (and Framers) posts on company
time, because most of what I get out of these fora is of
benefit to my professional competence. All my company-time
web surfing is (at least vaguely) work-related.

I even reply/post briefly, if I have a minute. My long posts,
however (as well as personal replies) are done on my time,
including lunch hour and evenings, but are brought here
for posting, as this is the address by which I'm subscribed.

That's as it should be, I think.

Peace, brother. :-)

Kevin McLauchlan
kmclauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com (aka kevinmcl -at- netrover -dot- com)
Journeyman techy writer, duffer skydiver, full-time unrepentent chocoholic

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=