Contracting Experiences

Subject: Contracting Experiences
From: Tom Campbell <klook -at- EUDORAMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 15:10:33 -0500

After 17 years as a full-time "captive" and the last 3 as a contractor, I can say I definitely prefer being a contractor.

I've contracted only through agencies, never (yet) as a truly independent 1099 contractor. Agencies take a cut, but they find jobs and they can get me into companies that don't hire independents. After paying for time off and benefits, I'm still coming out better financially than ever before. And I haven't yet had any periods of unemployment (knock on Formica).

But unless you're truly desperate or inexperienced, do NOT work full-time for an agency as a "pseudo-hourly employee" (to use Peter Kent's term from his book "Making Money in Technical Writing"). They'll "give" you benefits and paid bench time, for which you will pay dearly in lost income.

So far I've haven't much minded having to work on site for all my contract assignments, but working at home or on an erratic schedule is a big plus for some contractors.

For some, full-time employment may be a better option--e.g., if the new health ins. policy won't cover a medical condition, the local market for contracting isn't good, etc. But the reasons I hear most often are "security" or "benefits."

Security and benefits are rarely good reasons to remain a full-time employee. Job security is an illusion, and as a contractor you can usually get benefits for less than a full-time employer will charge you, when you take into account the higher pay rate.

I know more than one very talented person who is afraid to contract because of the prospect of "losing" sick time, 5 weeks of vacation every year, etc. Believe me, at 150% or more of your current full-time pay rate, you can afford the time off plus the benefits.

Things I like best about being a contract technical writer:
- interesting work that actually matches my skills and interests (usually)
- good pay
- varied technolgies & work environments
- working with a wide variety of people, most of whom are intelligent and hard working
- minimal exposure to company politics
- knowing that there is demand for my skills
- no performance evaluations (God, how I hated that ritual!)
- not having to dress up for work (hated that, too!)
- being valued for my contributions
- having to ask *permission* to work overtime, and getting paid for it when I do
- getting rewarded for job-hopping
- not having to go to depressing company-sponsored parties and "recreational" outings

Things I don't like about it:
- Hmmm...I'll have to get back to you on that one.

Sometimes I hear news reports that equate contract work with "temping," focusing on how we "temporary workers" don't get benefits or stock options, aren't part of the company "family," have no job security, etc. After three years of this "abject misery," I don't think I'm ever going back!

---
Tom Campbell
"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."
--Mark Twain

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=