Re: html editor questions

Subject: Re: html editor questions
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 11:21:55 -0400

Brierley, Sean [mailto:Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM]

> If you are using CSS you probably won't see FONT tags in the
> HTML code. The
> font attributes are defined when you load the CSS.

Exactly. And that is SO cool. No more sifting through the whole
page/site looking for every single thing that needs a font, and then
having it not quite match.

CSS means you can tell the browser "When I say <p> I mean
10 pt. Verdana (if available, otherwise whatever sans-serif is
available) with a 1/2 inch margin left and right and the first line
indented an extra quarter inch. For the whole SITE, not just a
page, except where I tell you different." instead of "From here
to the end of this tag, I want size 2 (whatever that may mean)
Verdana or Arial if Verdana isn't on the system."

This is freakin' excellent! The HTML ends up much shorter and
easier to read and develop, the pages end up with better
formatting and only the inconsistencies you want.

The down side: the display differences between browsers get
much more extreme. CSS has taken more collateral damage in the
browser wars than any other feature I care about. (ActiveX VS
Java is worse, but in %99+ of the cases I've seen, the job can be
done by an animated GIF and the site improved by skipping it
altogether.) But most of the time, all the browsers will do something
that looks reasonably good. The old "test with each browser" routine
is even more important with CSS.

---
Office:
mike -dot- huber -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com
Home:
nax -at- execpc -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=