Re: html editor questions

Subject: Re: html editor questions
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 11:23:09 -0400

Brierley, Sean [mailto:Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM]
> FP: Live with the FONT FACE="ARIAL" stuff. It might,
> technically, be bloat, but who cares? You could CSS the font definition so all <P>
> fonts got arial by default. I think you're being waaaay too picky on this.

Who cares? Well, only those who have to download the extra garbage. Bloat
increases download time. The bloat isn't the bad part, though, the bad part
is that a lot of the code is just plain incorrect, as in does not display as
desired, even in Internet Exploiter. Most of the problems have to do with
incorrect nesting of tags. For example, you can change the text color of a
hyperlink, but you have to put the <font> tag inside the <a href=...> tag.
FP will gladly change the text color of a hyperlink for you, but put the

That being said, I do use FP quite often, for first drafts. But I never
publish the raw output from FP. I never open a well-tuned page in FP,
because FP likes to rearrange the code. When I add new material to an
existing page, I often create the new material in FP, and cut and paste
the HTML code into the existing page with a pure text editor. (EditPad,
by Jan Goyvaerts. Available at http://www.jgsoft.com/ Costs a postcard.
Could teach Bill Gates a lesson in software design and implementation.)

Ironically, the bloat isn't all bloat. Technically (and practically, in some
cases) the font tag has to be repeated pretty often. In particular, each
cell in a table needs its own font tag.

As to the Evil Empire, I consider the business practices and the insidious
marketing two strikes against in any product decision, and the extremely
poor quality and utterly worthless support of products like Word a couple
of foul balls and an insult to the umpire resulting in a rather large strike
zone. So a product like FP, which is an excellent tool for producing crappy
first drafts, has a small, but not zero, chance of my accepting it.

---
Office:
mike -dot- huber -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com
Home:
nax -at- execpc -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=