Re: Too good to be true?

Subject: Re: Too good to be true?
From: Rose Hill <coach -at- PCEZ -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 08:19:21 -0700

Wow! What a wonderful offer from your pres and supervisor! Their
estimate of your value to them is apparent in their offer to help
set you up in your business. Are you ready to make the step into
the world of independence? If so, you have many resources available
to assist you in getting your new biz up and running.

You probably already know about SCORE and the Small Business
Development Centers. Do contact them and learn all you can from
them! Also, locate a lawyer and accountant (if you don't already
have them) to advise you. If possible, find a local mentor--someone
who has made the transition successfully from staff employee to
business owner in the last five years--who can help you learn the
ropes of your local municipalities re licensing and taxes and such.
And yes, join the appropriate local associatons for your business
and profession. (Be careful here though--you'll want to limit your
level of activity in these associations until you get your biz on
its feet and providing stable income.) These people will help you
with the get-the-biz-up-and-running aspect.

To help you address all the issues of "Do I really want to do this?"
hire a Professional Certified Coach -- preferably one who works
with individuals who are making the employee to biz owner transition.
I can help you off-line on how to locate and interview coaches so
you find the right one for you. I am biased about this -- I believe
so strongly in the power of coaching, having experienced its
transformative process in my own business -- that I went out and
took the training myself. The right coach can propel you and your
business to extraordinary heights.

Congratulations on being such a stellar performer that your president
and supervisor would go to these measures to ensure your
happiness and their continued access to your talents!

Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 04:11:45 -0600
From: Anonymous User <anonfwd -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Subject: FWD: Too good to be true?

Name withheld upon request. Please reply on list.

I have been given an opportunity that I seems almost too good to be true
... and that has me a little worried.

Basically, I am in a job that I don't like much. The work--a combination
of marketing writing, web development and tech writing--is OK, but it
isn't as web-work-centric as I was led to believe. I don't like the work
environment much, either. I've been looking for another job, and am
doing a little web freelancing. The president of the company (a man I
greatly admire and respect) knows all this.

Yesterday the president and my supervisor gave me this opportunity:
because they know that I am unhappy here, and because they want me to be
around to do the web work for the company, they are offering company
resources to help me get set up as a business. The company would be my
customer--I'd continue to work on the corporate web site and set up their
extranet--and I'd be free to approach other businesses as well. They
were offering to help me find small-business development programs, and do
all the stuff that I would need to do to be my Own Boss. They told me
that the company was willing to do this because they want me to be around
to do the web work for them, and they know I am looking. By helping me
get the business set up the right way--all the i's dotted and t's
crossed--the company would be assured that they wouldn't face any legal
problems from the IRS or something that they might otherwise encounter if
they had an outside-consulting setup with someone who was an employee
just the day before, and if that employee wasn't a "business." They're
talking about helping me figure out how to set up accounting practices,
how to get insurance to protect my ass(ets), how to get a federal
employee ID number and set things up with Social Security and figure out
a business plan, and they're even talking about letting me take some of
the equipment I use everyday with me! Or not--the whole thing is my
choice. I can jump on this or I can stay in my current job (with its
regular paycheck!).

What would you think if you were offered this kind of deal? On one hand
I think it sounds great and can't start making lists and everything fast
enough--but at heart I am a great big chicken. I know there are books
and organizations out there to help me figure out if I can handle this
from the capital/finance end of things, but what concerns me are the
harder-to-pinpoint issues: how do you know if you have the temperament
to work on your own? what kinds of pitfalls will I probably run into?
Would this deal make you suspicious, or would you just thank your lucky
stars and run with it?

PS Recommendations on books or web sites on beginning this kind of
venture are welcome, too!

Rose Hill
Consultant for Professional Technical Communicators
PH: (503) 629-4804
FAX: (503) 629-7044
See My Web Site at: http://www.coachrose.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=