Cost of poor communication

Subject: Cost of poor communication
From: "Elizabeth Frick, Ph.D." <efrick -at- PCLINK -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 09:26:11 -0500

Dear List,

I've been lurking for awhile, fascinated by some of the threads here.

Now, I need some help. I am writing a short column for a local technology
magazine. This particular column is about the cost of poor communication. I
need some brief anecdotes about how poor communication costs companies. For
example, I went to my favorite printer to order the printing of 600 flyers.
My camera-ready copy had been typeset three on a page. I ordered 200. They
printed 67 pages for a total of 201 flyers. My mistake in not specifying
that I needed the one page printed 200 times for a total of 600 flyers--and
it cost me four days of time because they had to order in special paper,
etc.

So I'm looking for anecdotes about your experiences with how poor
communication costs time, money, safety, etc. If you are worried at all
about confidentiality, don't give me names of companies (certainly not
names of individuals).

I need this by Wednesday, April 7. I will compile all results and post to
the list.

Thank you very much!

Bette Frick

Elizabeth Frick, Ph.D.