Re: Dead-end Online Help Path?

Subject: Re: Dead-end Online Help Path?
From: Roy Anderson <royanderson -at- MINDSPRING -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 1999 01:19:36 -0500

Thanks to all you wonderful people who took the time to write insightful,
considerate, and encouraging responses about my dead-end online help
development career situation. I can't adequately express how important it
was to read your "You can do it" and "I believe in you" comments. Again,
thank you so much for writing! Your efforts are deeply appreciated.

To summarize your views:

1. It's an admirable thing to easily relate to SMEs and end users alike.

Most people don't feel threatened by an affable Andy Griffith type like
me who puts others at ease. "You sincerely only want to help others?
That is so odd!" Of course, earning a living is important, too. (Smile.)

2. Tools can be learned but writing simple, clear user documentation is what
we should all be about. It was also the consensus of all that tools and
technologies can be learned, but being a solid writer is paramount. You
all implored me to not give up on learning new technologies, even at the
age of 55. Many of you are in the same age range and are learning exciting
new technologies. That's great. I'm happy for you.

I'm afraid that I gave you the wrong impression. I didn't mean that I'm
unable to learn new technologies. Instead, I fear no company will provide
me with the future means to learn, expand, and to contribute. It's their
loss, but they'd don't understand things this way.

I am a former IT department manager and a former senior systems engineer
for Honeywell Computers. I don't fear technology; nor doubt my abilities.
Not for a second! Within five days of being exposed to SAP for the first
time, I unlocked the secret for replacing SAP's help system with our
client's customized help. I enjoy challenges and adapt easily. But it's
darn tough to do any of these things when employment.

Being unafraid of new technology and being afforded access to those new
technologies are distinctly different matters. Despite what many think,
age and gender discrimination is alive and well in today's hiring world.

As soon as managers learn I'm a 55 year old male, doors slam shut. I've
been told "You wouldn't fit in with our young dynamic staff" or "We
didn't realize you were soooo experienced" or "our need is for juniors."
This is a young person's world. It apparently matters little now whether
one can for users. It seems more important to be youthful and "cool."
That's the message I hear loud and clear. One hiring manager joined me
for lunch one day and commented on my boring blue Oldsmobile 98 sedan.
"You really should get a more stylish car," she suggested, "people would
respect you more. Say, have you considered dying your hair?" I giggled
throughout lunch. It was quite an immersion in the world of superficiality.

3. Many of you said, "To hell with hiring managers who place more emphasis
on flash than substance."

Unfortunately, the hiring manager I mentioned is employed and I'm still
unemployed because I'm old, gray, uncool, and didn't bring enough toys
to the table. "Samples? All I've done is write 350 online help files.
I don't claim to be a highly-skilled technical communicator. I've never
written a manual. Nor created advertising copy. Haven't done a Mexican
restaurant menu. But, listen, I can write well organized online help
files. Want to see a sample? Yes, I agree. The sample is boring. It
explains what the user needs to know and gets out of the user's way."

I once had a hiring manager explain he was more concerned with meeting
deadlines than producing quality documentation. "If users don't get it,
they'll call the help line. That's what help desks are for."

My problem comes from gaining access to new technologies. Tools such
as FrameMaker are prohibitively expensive--especially when one is
unemployed. I can't afford to upgrade to roboHELP 7. Don't know how
to write apps in Virtual Basic or C so I can't build "What's This"
online help links in my sample online help files to prove that I, too,
can write cool "What's This?" help files. It can't be terribly difficult
but if employment doors are closed, it's impossible to gain access to
tools experience. I can't buy and exercise modern, expensive tools.

I've seen the term "Technical Communicator" and often thought "Perhaps
my great problem is that I'm a simple man, merely a 'communicator'.

My greatest personal reward will always be an experience I had with an
old, gruff truck repair foreman. He had never dealt with computers
before and his exposure to complex SAP enterprise software frightened
him and his rugged crew. During my user assessment tour, the foreman
begged me to write online help that made sense of SAP asset management
and maintenance control transactions. "Please help save our jobs. I am
the best Mack truck mechanic in the country but I don't know how to
turn on a computer. Please remember us when you write your online help."

After his online training, he sought me out in the office, smiled, shook
my hand, and simply said, "Thank you. The gang says thanks, too." With
that, he turned and returned to repairing trucks. I don't care what
journals or technical communications experts say. That man's sincere
expression of appreciation proved that writing user oriented help can
be a rewarding endeavor. I've been hooked on writing help since.

I'd likely never measure up to tough interview tests or earn certificates
to hang on my wall to prove that I can "communicate." I'll never be asked
to write STC white papers or to participate in symposiums. I certainly
know, however, that there's a large group of truck mechanics, secretaries,
dispatchers, purchasing agents, and business analysts who'd point to
me in a crowded STC ballroom and shout, "That old man can write." This
knowledge fills me with joy.

Thanks again for writing.

Roy

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=