Re: Dead-end Online Help Path?

Subject: Re: Dead-end Online Help Path?
From: Chuck Martin <cwmartin -at- US -dot- ORACLE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 12:10:01 -0800

Roy,
I'm trying to figure out just exacly how to begin a response; you raise
so man interesting issues.

First and foremost, from what you describe, I'd say you're far from an
"old dinosaur." In fact, This industry needs many more people who are
enamored less with whiz-bang technology and mor with what will best
benefit the end user. It sounds like, over and over, that the users have
been your primary focus.

Please don't let the rantings of one ignorant fop hiring manager
discourage you. That this person cared less about quality results than
the technology should be a tipoff that it's not a company you'd want to
work for; you'd have too many fights on your hands trying to represent
the interests of the end users.

And yes, there is a market for all types of online documents, not just
those attached to specific applications.

Also, please don't let your age be an excuse for no longer learning. I
believe that you can always learn new things (although, to be fair, my
past attempts at learning foreign languages was not successful). So it
takes a few weeksd, months, or years to acquire new skills. We all do
it. And when you've spent some time picking up some new tachnology,
you'll still be the same age as if you hadn't spent the time
learning--only you'll have expanded your horizons and will be able to
meet more challenges.

Plus, there's no reason why you can't more into developing-web-based
material. All the concepts for presenting the material are essentially
the same. The only disfference is in the delivery technology, and that's
a snap to pick up the basics.

Heck, if I were the hiring manager type, and I had a candidate who
talked about making information accessible and useful to users, I'd be
chomping at the bit to get the hiring papers through the bureaucracy.
Technologies can be learned. A user-oriented attitude is still too rare,
and snyone who doesn't snap that up when the opportunity arises just
plain isn't going to be successful in the long run.

Good luck.

--
"Online help should ignore first-time users and concentrate
on those people who are already successful using the

Chuck Martin
Principal Technical Writer, Oracle Developer
Tools Division, Oracle Corporation

cwmartin"at"us.oracle.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=