Re: Not Using the server

Subject: Re: Not Using the server
From: Dale Wooden <dwooden -at- NEWBRIDGE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 12:17:46 -0500

All,

Another point to consider is quality in the form of revision control!
If, for instance, someone is keeping copies of documents on their local
drive and the official version is on the server you can have disastrous
results... One scenario would be where the SMEs keep copies of documents
on their local drives and submit revisions to a team of TWs based upon
"their" copy. The TWs would have done all of their work on the original
and released it to the server for wider access. With the SME using
"their" copy to do subsequent revisions on, the work the TWs do either
will get done repeatedly, or will be missed in subsequent releases...

If this happens with mission critical documents you could be open for
some real problems!

FYI, before I took my current position, I did some QA consulting and two
of my pet peeves are configuration management and revision control.

For what its worth!

Dale Wooden

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=