Evaluating Help Tools

Subject: Evaluating Help Tools
From: Chris Ketcham <chrket -at- ROBBINSGIOIA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 15:55:49 -0500

Hello,

I would like to hear from anyone who has praise or horror stories about help
authoring tools for the Windows and HTML environments. I'm evaluating tools
and want to know if there are any that I just shouldn't waste my time on.
My goal is to narrow my inquiries down to less than 5 companies.

As this may not be of interest to the entire list, please reply to me off
list (chrket -at- robbinsgioia -dot- com). If you would like the results of
information I gather (including how the vendors respond to my list of
questions), let me know. Below is some background information. Thank you.

I have been using RoboHELP 5.08.047 to create Windows help files for a VB
development project. I had a variety of difficulties, including RH's
resource hogging. Also, it cannot create a specialized table of contents
that I need (The RoboHELP engineer said they can't do it.) My boss has OK'd
my evaluating some other help tools, with the idea that we might switch if
it doesn't cost much more than (or about the same as) upgrading, and if the
new tool would perform better. Version 0 help has been written for Windows,
but I will have to convert to HTML for version 1. There are over 10
components, some with very complex help.

Chris Ketcham
Sr. Technical Writer, Jaguar
Robbins-Gioia, Inc.
chrket -at- robbinsgioia -dot- com
My opinions only. Check out www.radicalhonesty.com.
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary
act"--George Orwell.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=