gid, fts, ftg, ann, bmk files for windows 95 help

Subject: gid, fts, ftg, ann, bmk files for windows 95 help
From: Brenda Stewart <brenda -at- MCCABE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 16:09:18 -0500

Sorry for cross-posting.

I have read through the techwrl and winhelp archives for information
about the
files listed above, and the more I read, the more confused I get.
Everyone seems to have an opinion, and they often contradict one
another. So, I thought I would ask this question with respect to my
current situation, and hopefully, I can find out exactly what I need and

get the info. all in one message. (It seems that the archives have lots
of info about GID files and info about the other files is mixed within,
but not one message covers it all.) So, here goes...

We distribute our software on CD-ROM. For uninstall and update purposes,

I am trying to determine whether our help files should include 0 byte
files of each of the types referenced in the subject line above, or if I

should do something in the registry (or if I need to do anything at
all). Also, if these files are necessary, do I need one for each .hlp?
Our help consists of one main help and contents file (mccabe.hlp and
mccabe.cnt), which will be installed no matter what product the users
are licensed to use. This main cnt file contains includes for all of the

other secondary cnt files (about 14). Our users work in both stand-alone

and client/server environments.

I received the list in digest, so if you could send responses directly
to me, brenda -at- mccabe -dot- com, I would appreciate it. And, I would be happy
to summarize a post the responses.

Thanks in advance!

--
Brenda Stewart (brenda -at- mccabe -dot- com)
Senior Technical Writer

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=