Writing Specifications thread

Subject: Writing Specifications thread
From: Valarie Tassari <tassari -at- CGI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 09:32:50 -0500

This is in response to Josee's post about a potential new career opportunity.

Josee Mariann Proulx wrote:
> Hi,
> I got an offer from a company that has a position where I would write
> user's manuals, installation manuals, and product specifications.

Scott Wahl responded:
>You might want to get more information on the type of product
>specifications. Are these detailed functional specs for developers,
>or higher-level specs that might be used with potential customers?
>How much actual writing would be doing and much editing of other
>people's drafts?

IMHO, writing specifications is a rewarding experience. I have
participated in specification writing during the past 8 years with the
engineering staff for a product that I know very well. I've performed
editing and writing functions for both the product spec and the customer
spec as Scott describes. I believe writers provide a user perspective that
is very valuable to the acceptance of the product. We can be designers as
well as writers if we know our audience well enough. Also, participating
from the beginning of the software development gives you a "leg up" on
obtaining what you need for the user documentation that is to be delivered
at the other end of the cycle.

Don't be afraid to accept the challenge!

Val

Valarie Tassari Sr. Technical Writer
mailto:tassari -at- cgi -dot- com Logica Carnegie Group
http://www.cgi.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=