Re: Word97: alpha headings for appendixes

Subject: Re: Word97: alpha headings for appendixes
From: JGREY <JGREY -at- MADE2MANAGE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 12:42:46 -0500

Mike McGraw writ:
>>It seems to be impossible to use Heading1 both for numerical chapters and
alpha appendixes (1, 2, 3, 4, ..., A, B, C...). What we're doing is to
supply the developers with a template for their document and a separate
template for the appendix section. Is there a way to play with Heading1 so
that I can use it for both for the chapters and appendixes?<<

I've just been through this problem. Unfortunately, you can't make Heading
1 do both numbers and letters and have them show up right in TOCs, page
numbers, and so on.

The way to proceed is to use *different* headings in the Appendixes. If you
use Headings 1-4 in your chapters, use 5-8 in your appendixes. Heading 5
becomes equivalent to Heading 1, Heading 6 to Heading 2, and so on. Set
each of these headings up to use automatic lettering as appropriate. In the
paragraph properties for each style, set the outline level to match the
*effective* level -- Heading 5 is Level 1, Heading 6 is Level 2, and so on.

This ought to do it.

jim grey \ Documentation Manager
Made2Manage Systems, Inc. \ jgrey -at- made2manage -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=