Re: Help! First TW job interveiw

Subject: Re: Help! First TW job interveiw
From: George Hinman <techwriter -at- MY-DEJANEWS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 13:05:06 -0000

One thing screams out to me immediately:
AGE DISCRIMINATION
According to federal law, it it ILLEGAL to discriminate on the basis of age. They simply cannot specify a particular age or age range as a job requirement.
The job sounds like a pretty good opportunity, except what kind of "technical documentation" is required, and are you experienced and/or knowledgeable enough to do it?
User documentation usually requires less technical knowledge up front, since you are basically translating the "techie" talk for the naive user, but technical documentation may involve writing technical information for technical users, which can get quite complicated.

As for advice, what I have always done is emphasize how eager I was to learn technologies that I had little or no experience in.

Anyway good luck (I would definitely ask about the age requirement!)

George Hinman
Technical Writer & Webmaster

--

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999 13:17:14 smith wrote:
>Hi TECHWR-Ls,
>
>Help. I have my first job interveiw for an entry level techwriting position
>in less than 7 days. The position is within the research and development
>dept. of a medium sized international IT firm (job description below).
>I am coming from a non-tecnical or writing background (I have a masters
>degree in social sciences) but I have great interest in learning more about
>computing. I am basically self-taught and I've gained lots of useful
>information and tips from reading this list.
>
>What pointers can you 'experienced' tech writers give to a beginner to help
>"close the deal" on the possible first job?
>All advice will be greatly appreciated.
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Stan Smith
>
>-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
>Department: Research & Development
>
>Job description: Technical Writer for the Applications team
>
>Reporting to the Teamleader, Applications, the Technical Writer in the
>Applications Team will be primarily responsible for:
>
> Writing end-user documentation
> Writing technical documentation
> Reporting back to the developers
>
>The person we are looking for should have the following qualifications:
>
> 25-35 years of age
> Dynamic
> Team player
> Open-minded
> Humor
> Drive/Commitment
> PC-experience at Super user level or higher
> Preferably Notes experience
>
>From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000==

-----== Sent via Deja News, The Discussion Network ==-----
http://www.dejanews.com/ Easy access to 50,000+ discussion forums