Job Testing

Subject: Job Testing
From: Jonathan Soukup <jsoukup -at- GTE -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 23:44:25 -0600

I started my first tech writing job a little more than a year ago, and I
was bombarded with tests before I was hired. It really wasn't even a
writing test, it was more like a three and a half hour civil service test.
The company recruiter said it was to weed out the vast number of applicants
and they hired only one person out of every one hundred they tested. I
doubt they paid much serious attention to the test score and merely used it
as a means of weeding out people they didn't like. I've met way too many
people at this company who are "intellectually challenged." None of my
co-workers have any professional writing experience, so I strongly question
the whole testing procedure.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=